Sunday, November 27, 2011

The sting in the adder's tail for bookworms...

...is lack of sleep due to not being able to stop reading a good book.
Case in point: last Sunday night I couldn't bring myself to stop reading until at least 12.30am. And then the book was swirling in my brain until at least 2am. This would be all well and good if my job didn't involve getting up at 6.30am in order to be at work by 8am, ready for a day of teaching six and seven year olds who a) have a lot of energy b) are noisy and c) aren't afraid to bellow "You look so tired Ms S!"
Unfortunately I can't offer my favourite Bridget Jones's Diary (the book, not the movie) quote to children...
"There's nothing worse than people telling you you looked tired. They might as well have done with it and say you look like five kinds of s***."
The Book That Must Be Blamed for my foggy Monday last week is Delirium, by Lauren Oliver. I've been wanting to read it ever since I devoured her first book, Before I Fall, in its entireity on a plane from Queensland to Melbourne to Tasmania in February. Delirium is set in an unspecified future, a future in which love has been identified as a disease and all citizens must undergo a process to 'cure' them of this emotion once they reach 18. Very thought-provoking and un-put-downable. It's the first in a trilogy and I am now eager for March 2012 so I can find out what happens next....
Anyway, welcome to my new blog. I've had other blogs in the past but the least said about those overblown and youthful exercises in being dramatic the better. Therefore we can move right along. Here I'll be talking about my life, my work, my pets, my love, my crafting and creating, my friends, as well as two of my passions, books and movies. Thanks for stopping by. 
Love,
Bebb 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a book reading night-owl too, but thankfully I don't have to get up so early, poor you :(
    I think my husband was just telling me about that book, will have to get hold of a copy.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I look forward to following along with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words :)
    I searched all through Launceston for the book...went into all the 'main' bookshops and then gave up, resigning myself to buying it online, and then stumbled across it at K-Mart, of all places!

    ReplyDelete