Monday, November 28, 2011

The C Word

I run a lunchtime library program at my school for kids to play board games/read/draw during lunch. It's aimed at some higher needs kids who need a bit of time out from the busy playground but is open to all. Invariably I get a lot of grade 1 and 2 girls, some that I teach and some from other classes, who just come in to chat to me, or try to entice me to play their own version of Uno (which has rules I still haven't figured out). A few weeks ago, several girls were chatting to me about this, that and the other when one of them suddenly burst out with,
"Ms S, do you know the C word?"
Um...my brain frantically ran through appropriate responses, everything from flat-out denial to hysterical laughter. While I stalled, she went on,
"It's this word...it's a special word...Our teacher said she doesn't want to hear it any more. We aren't allowed to say it or even write it until December."
Slowly dawning realisation...
"Do you mean...."
"Yes!" (leaning in, whispering.) "It's Christmas!"
Clearly, I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That's so funny! Kids say the funniest things even when they sometimes don't even know it.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sweet innocence, just the way it should be :)

    ReplyDelete